Saturday, May 21, 2022

Out Now!



Previously published in 2016 as "Yesterday" my latest re-release is now called Reluctant Royal. This novel was an Honorable Mention in the 2016 Rainbow Awards.

Blurb

In June of 1978 Grady Ormond, eighteen-year-old son of diplomat Peter Ormond, accompanies his father to his new posting as US Ambassador to Pakistan. Neighboring Iran is on the brink of a civil war, with the monarchy in danger of being overthrown.

Grady will be leaving for New York City in late August to study cinematography and has been warned to keep his homosexual orientation tightly under wraps while on vacation. Repercussions in the predominantly Islamic region could be severe.

On their first night in Karachi, his father hosts a cocktail party to meet the local dignitaries. Grady is introduced to His Highness Prince Kamran Izadi, nephew of the shah of Iran. Twenty-three-year-old Kamran has recently returned from the UK, where he spent eleven years, first as a student, and then as a financial analyst.

The attraction is immediate—unforeseen and dangerously powerful—but neither one dares to make a move. Odds are so stacked against them it’s futile to even entertain a friendship, but they do, and their world tilts precariously.

With his country in turmoil and Grady about to leave for college, Kamran makes a decision that will change their lives forever.

Excerpt

The next morning, Father and I met for breakfast, and I mentioned Kamran’s offer to show me around town.

His spoonful of cereal was halfway to his mouth when I gave him my news, and he slowly lowered it back to his bowl. “That’s nice of him,” he said. Looking me in the eye in that thoughtful way of his, he continued. “Try to stay out of trouble, Grady. I’ll have enough on my mind as it is. The entire region is a powder keg right now, and we don’t want to be the ones to light the match.”

“About that,” I began. “What’s going on in Iran? I haven’t been paying much attention.”

“More of the same. The mullahs are unhappy with the shah’s attempt to get Iran out of the Dark Ages.”

“Why?”

“He’s trying to reinvent the proverbial wheel and is stepping on religious toes in the process. Modernizing a country steeped in tradition is an uphill battle, and he’s made a lot of enemies along the way. The shah is also prone to excess and flaunting his wealth with ridiculous celebrations like the one in 1971.”

“That was seven years ago.”

“People still talk about it. It was meant to celebrate 2,500 years of the Persian Empire, but it turned into a monumental tribute to his ego. An entire city of tents was erected to house the dignitaries and celebrities invited to join in the two-week event. Food was catered from Maxim’s in Paris, for heaven’s sake, and the palace household was outfitted by the famous couturier Lanvin. They hemorrhaged money while most of the country could barely scrape enough together to feed themselves. It was a hedonistic and blatant attempt to prove to the world that they were meant to rule. Rumor has the total expenditure at well over eighteen million dollars. That money could have been used more wisely, and if it was a tribute he wanted, modernizing the infrastructure of the country or adding more schools and hospitals would have been better. The old religious faction was up in arms, but the shah squashed them like bugs. Anyone who disagreed with him was exiled or dragged off in the middle of the night by SAVAK, and usually never seen again.”

“SAVAK?”

“The Iranian secret police, a modern-day version of the SS and just as reviled. They’re famous for torturing dissidents or anyone opposing the shah. You don’t want to mess with them.”

“The shah sounds like a megalomaniac.”

Father shrugged. “It’s hard to know what to believe, there are so many conflicting stories. Ever since oil was discovered over there in the early nineteen hundreds, Iran has attracted great interest from the West. The Brits played a dominant role in developing the Persian oil industry until World War II, and then the Soviets joined them to keep the Germans away. We sort of stayed on the sidelines until 1953, and then Prime Minister Mossadegh started playing footsies with Moscow, so the CIA helped boot him out and gave the shah a lot more power. He’s been really friendly with us ever since. Unfortunately the religious leaders think there’s an imbalance of wealth and feel the country is becoming too westernized. Nonetheless, we’re obligated to watch the shah’s back as best as we can. The alternative, putting the fanatic religious in power, would be a disaster.”

“Why do I get this feeling you’d rather I stay away from the prince?”

“Hanging around with one of their royals isn’t a great idea.”

“What could possibly happen over here?”

“There have been ongoing threats to anyone who carries the Pahlavi genes. Kamran is the son of the shah’s half sister. Up until Reza II was born in 1960, he was in line to succeed his uncle. They raised him with that in mind. Even if he’s no longer a viable candidate, he is still a royal and could serve as an example if the dissidents decide he’s a convenient target. That’s the reason why he’s got bodyguards following him around at all times.”

“I didn’t think he was much older than me,” I said, picking out that piece of information among all the rest.

“Not by a lot,” Father replied. “Maybe five years.”

“I’ll ask when I see him next. In any case, I would think the goons will protect me as well if there’s a need.”

“Why even put yourself at risk?”

“Don’t worry, Father. All I want to do is film the green turtle migration while I have the chance and learn a little more about this part of the world. Once I’m back in school, I’ll be too busy to travel, at least until I’m done.”

“Well, fortunately for you, I’ll be able to come and visit as often as I’m needed.”

“Hopefully you won’t need to. I’m a big boy now, or haven’t you noticed?”

“I’ve more than noticed, Grady, and I’m worried. Are you simply experimenting with your artistic friends, or are you really not interested in women?”

“Some of my best friends are women, Father. And therein lies the problem. The spark that usually leads to romance seems to be lacking between me and the female persuasion.”

“Have you had any relationships with men?”

“Would you be terribly disappointed in me if I were to say yes?”

“I’m not passing judgment, son. I need to know so I can be prepared.”

“For what?”

“Questions. I don’t like being blindsided. America is not as tolerant as Europe when it comes to homosexuals, and it would be in your best interest to lay low instead of pretending you and your bohemian friends are the norm.”

“My best interest or yours?”

“Both. Funding would stop if I’m unemployed.”

“The state department would fire you for having a queer son?”

“Not in so many words, but if my son is embroiled in any sort of scandal, I’ll hear about it.”

“Well, rest assured, I will be the model of discretion.”

“Thank you,” Father replied sincerely. “It’s all I can hope for. You are aware that homosexuality is punishable by death in Iran.”

“Quite.”

“Don’t forget.”


You can purchase your copy of Reluctant Royal at AMAZON or read for free with your KU subscription. 









No comments:

Post a Comment