Sunday, November 14, 2021

Sunday Snippet


Today's snippet is from the final novel in the Cutting Cords Series.  It's available on AMAZON OR A FREE READ ON KINDLE UNLIMITED! 

Blurb

Hours after their mock wedding, real life intrudes, and arguments arise between Sloan Driscoll and Trent Hamilton. At his BDSM club, Trent bumps into an old army friend who makes him an offer he can’t refuse. In the meantime, Sloan receives a frantic call from ex-lover, Cole Fujiwara, who informs him the twins are missing. Cole asks for help but adds a caveat—keep it confidential.

Trent considers the opportunity to resume a career cut short. Ignoring Sloan’s threat to postpone their wedding, he leaves for the Middle East on a fact-finding mission while Sloan rushes to aid Cole.

As the former couple begin their quest to rescue the children, disturbing revelations are uncovered. A new understanding develops and old feelings arise. Despite the heightened awareness, neither man makes a move. Sloan focuses on the endgame without jeopardizing his current relationship, while Cole must prepare himself to survive another disappointment if Sloan remains with Trent.

Cutting Out is the final book in the Cutting Cords Series previously published by Dreamspinner Press. This series must be read in order to fully appreciate the highs and lows of these unique characters.

Content Warning: Cutting, body image issues, kidnapping, violence, non-con, death of a secondary character.

Snippet

“I met an old friend at the club tonight,” Trent said. He scraped the label off the amber bottle in an uncharacteristically nervous gesture.

“Oh?”

“Yeah, an Army buddy from back in the day.”

“Fuck buddy?”

Trent shook his head. “Nah… he was one of my commanding officers.”

“So why do you seem disturbed?”

“He said things have been really different since they repealed DADT.”

“Different how?”

“Guys are open about their relationships with other guys. He says the brass are a lot less judgmental.”

“That’s nice,” I offered. “But how does this affect you?”

Trent put his now empty bottle on the nightstand and leaned forward. He cradled my face and brushed my lips with a tender kiss. Then he leaned back again and said, “You know how much I love you, don’t you?”

“Yeah,” I replied warily. “What’s going on, Trent?”

“I’m thinking of trying it out again.”

“Trying what?”

“The Army.”

I opened my mouth to protest, but he quickly covered my lips with his hand. “Hear me out before you blow a gasket.”

I nodded, feeling the screams swelling up in my throat. What the ever-loving fuck?

Trent rose from the sofa and paced as he talked. “Joe says I can hire on as a mercenary for a six-week run to see if I can get back into the swing of things.”

“Why would you want to put yourself in harm’s way again?”

“I don’t see it like that.”

“If it’s excitement you crave, then take up race driving or mountain climbing or sword swallowing for Christ’s sake!”

“Those are all great choices but meaningless.”

“Is your life so empty you’d prefer dealing with land mines and maniacal jihadists?” I asked the question but already knew the answer. Modeling had lost its appeal a while back, and pushing numbers around as a financial consultant left him cold. Trent had not attended West Point for the prestige. He was a true patriot and aspired to serve his country. The only reason he’d left the Special Forces was because he had to keep his orientation under wraps.

“You know why I walked away.”

“Yes, but now you’re in a relationship. How can you think about leaving me? I’m not some Army wife that’s going to trail behind you.”

“First of all, you can’t follow me out there, and secondly, I’d never ask you to do it even if you could.”

“Then what in the hell do you expect me to do while you’re gone? Sex by Skype is not gratifying in any way. I refuse to sit by the phone with my heart in my throat while you’re out in some godforsaken place getting your balls shot off. Hell no!”

“Look, I know this is coming out of left field.”

“Ya think? One minute we’re exchanging mock wedding vows and planning our future, and the next thing I know, you’re thinking of reenlisting? If this wedding extravaganza is turning you off, I’d be more than happy to get married at city hall. Anything to keep you here.”

“The media event has nothing to do with my decision.”

“Have you been pretending to be happy for my sake?”

“I’ve never pretended with you, Sloan. You’ve made me happy and continue to do so. I love you more than I love anyone else in my life, but it’s the other stuff I miss. I feel like my career was cut short. Whenever I read about the troubles in the Middle East, I want to jump on the first plane out of here and HALO down to the desert. You can’t know what it’s like unless you’ve been there. Don’t you want me to be fulfilled? I hate what I’m doing now.”

“What in the fuck is HALO, Trent?”

“It’s a military term for high-altitude low-opening jumps.”

“From a plane?” I must have looked horrified because he laughed and nodded.

“Yes, from a plane.”

“That’s just fucking great. Not only do I have to worry about bullets, now I have to think of you being splattered all over the desert like roadkill.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Book-Week 3

This weeks free book is Open Seating, the first book in the Open Series. You can find it on my author page at Amazon. Kindle Countdown deals...