Sunday, October 17, 2021

Sunday Snippet

 



Today's snippet is from my novel Cutting Cords. The first book in a 4 book series is available on Amazon and a free read on KU.

Blurb

Sloan Driscoll is a talented graphic artist but compared to his father and younger brother—all star athletes—he’s never measured up. A lifetime of insecurity leads him down dark paths.

His childhood friend, Cole Fujiwara, a former major league pitcher, embodies all of Sloan’s hidden aspirations. Cole is physically fit, attractive, intelligent, and successful. Seemingly perfect.

When Sloan shows up on Cole’s NYC doorstep needing a place to stay, their reunion is anything but simple. Sloan has always been drawn to Cole, but now, even though there’s a girlfriend on the periphery, the attraction seems mutual.

One night, inhibitions slip away. But both men are hiding a multitude of secrets. Salvation could be found within each other’s arms. But only if they let it.

Cutting Cords is the first book in the Cutting Cords Series previously published by Dreamspinner Press. This series must be read in order. HEA guaranteed at series end.

Content Warning: contains body image issues, drug use and cutting.


Snippet

The photo session was in Grand Central Station of all places. They were modeling Gucci luggage, using the trains as backdrop. Etienne wore a three-piece suit, complete with topcoat, fedora, and was surrounded by the designer’s suitcases in every shape imaginable. He looked damn good in my opinion. The photographer was a bitchy slave driver who knew exactly what he wanted, demanding complete dedication from everyone on his staff. It was hard work, and my respect for models rose significantly. It took a lot of effort to achieve the oh-so-casually-beautiful look gracing the front pages of Vogue and Elle.

After two hours of mind-numbing boredom, I was firmly convinced I couldn’t model. For one thing, I wasn’t vain enough, and for another, I couldn’t stand the people on the sidelines, gawking. Etienne, on the other hand, soaked up the adulation. Why he was going to Pratt was a mystery until he told me his father had insisted. I sympathized completely.

It was almost six in the evening by the time they wrapped up. I was ready for some food and possibly a private party. After this morning, I was desperate to take on anyone so long as they didn’t look like Cole. I had to get his taste out of my mouth, and the easiest way was to partake at someone else’s table. I was hoping to meet some of the models, because I liked having Etienne as a friend and didn’t want to muddy our relationship with a round of meaningless sex.

“Okay, Mr. Beautiful. Let’s get the fuck out of here.” I grabbed his hand and headed for the exit.

“Wait a minute, Sloan.” Etienne held back. “What did you think? Is this something you might possibly do?”

“Hell no.”

“Max thinks you have the perfect face for photos.”

“Thanks a fucking lot, but I’m not interested. Who’s Max?”

“The photographer, silly.”

“Oh.” I turned and caught Max observing our exchange. He gave me the raised eyebrow, probably expecting me to jump at the offer. I shrugged my shoulders and mouthed, sorry.

His mouth dropped open, apparently shocked by my response. I guess no one in their right mind would refuse a chance like this, but I really wasn’t interested. I started walking away and he caught up to me, tapping me on the shoulder. “Are you for real?”

“Of course I’m for real,” I replied sassily, surprised he cared to ask.

“How could you possibly say no to me?”

“Just because I’m gay doesn’t mean I have to strike a pose,” I said, doing my best imitation of Madonna.

He laughed. “What’s your name?”

“Sloan Driscoll. Why?”

“I like you.”

Confident much? I was disarmed by his grin, and of course, hearing him say he liked me was always a good icebreaker. He had a nice body, which he showed off in the wife beater and tight jeans, and a full beard cut close to his skin. He reminded me of Freddie Mercury, minus the teeth.

“You like Queen?” I asked suddenly.

“Do I remind you of Freddie?” he asked playfully.

“I guess I’m not the first one who’s noticed the resemblance.”

He nodded. “I adore Queen.”

“Cool.” Anyone who liked my favorite band had to be one of the good guys.



PURCHASE CUTTING CORDS HERE OR READ FOR FREE WITH YOUR KINDLE UNLIMITED SUBSCRIPTION.  ALL 4 BOOKS ARE OUT NOW. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Book-Week 3

This weeks free book is Open Seating, the first book in the Open Series. You can find it on my author page at Amazon. Kindle Countdown deals...