Sunday, September 19, 2021

Sunday Snippet

 


Today's snippet is from my first published novel, Horizons. It's come a long way from the original version that released back in 2009. Multiple editors have had a hand in tweaking this novel from it's inception, and I'm hoping this third edition will pass muster.  You can purchase the novel at AMAZON or read for free with a Kindle Unlimited subscription.

Blurb

Golden boy Clark Stevens is on the verge of realizing his NFL dreams when he breaks his arm during a scrimmage. The injury is minor, but his attraction to the doctor who patches him up is not.

Dr. Jody Williams lost his heart to a man he buried five years ago. Still grieving, he's not looking for love. But the patient who's part Nordic God, part lost soul, ticks all his boxes, leaving him with feelings he didn't know he was still capable of having.

Beneath the flawless jock exterior, Clark is hiding not just his sexual identity, but a challenging disorder. His controlling father won't allow him to take meds to manage his ADD, fearing they'll affect his performance on the football field. Now his academic struggles have put his entire future in jeopardy, and Jody is more than happy to ride to the rescue as a tutor. But playing white knight quickly turns to more and the wild attraction between them can't be contained.

Athletes have started coming out, but it's always a gamble, especially without family support. Now Clark must decide. Should he hide his true self or risk it all for the man he loves?

Snippet
Horizons
Copyright 2021
Mickie B. Ashling 

Every muscle in my body tensed when Nikki bounced into the room, passing around hugs like she was part of the family. I was furious at my father for presuming I wanted her to spend Thanksgiving with us. Mom rushed to get another place setting for her, and naturally, my parents insisted she sit beside me, which pissed me off even more.

“Doc, you know Nikki, don’t you? She’s Clark’s girlfriend,” my dad pronounced.

“No,” Jody replied with a controlled smile. “We’ve never met.”

“Pleased to meet you,” she replied in her perkiest cheerleader voice.

I clenched my thighs with both hands, willing myself to calm down. Everything had been going so well; Jody was comfortable, the family welcoming. Now, all my defenses were back up again, bracing for the worst.

“Likewise,” Jody replied coldly. My gentle Jo-Jo had disappeared, and in his place sat a hostile stranger.

“How come we’ve never met before?” Nikki asked, reaching for her wineglass.

“We don’t have the same friends.”

“Where did you meet Clark?”

“In the emergency room.”

“You’re a doctor?”

I interrupted. “You remember when I broke my arm?”

“Yeah.”

“Jody was my attending physician, and we’ve become friends.”

“Oh! That’s kind of weird.”

Bemused, Jody asked, “Why?”

“Clark’s never mentioned you.” She shifted in her chair.

“He never talks about you either,” Jody maintained.

“Dr. Williams is tutoring Clark in English,” my mother interjected.

“I didn’t realize doctors had side jobs.”

Jody snorted. “I have a life outside of the hospital.”

“I’m sure you do, but isn’t this above and beyond the call of duty?”

“Not really.”

“I tried helping Clark at one time, but it didn’t work out,” Nikki stated.

“I tutored back in my college days,” Jody offered.

“I’m sure you’re much more qualified than me.”

“No doubt.”

I felt like I was watching a tennis match between rival players. The animosity between them was palpable. Everyone at the table had stopped eating to watch the exchange with interest.

“How come you’re here and not with your family?”

“Nikki,” I grumbled. Why couldn’t she let this go?

“He’s from Chicago,” Zach mentioned.

“Don’t you have a wife or girlfriend?” Nikki continued to probe.

Jody stood abruptly. “I need to use the restroom.”

“Follow me.” I rocketed to my feet and stalked out of the dining room with Jody at my heels.

In my bedroom, I reached for his hand, and he clenched it tightly. It was a relief because he looked like a man on the verge of punching a hole in the wall, but then I remembered it was my default, not his. Jody would destroy his enemy with words. “Jo, I’m really sorry.”

“She’s a nosy little bitch, isn’t she?”

“I guess she’s feeling threatened for some reason. Don’t say anything or this place will explode. Please… just shake it off, okay?”

Jody’s temple throbbed with anger, and I reached for his other hand and gently squeezed. “Please, Jo-Jo… do this for me.”

“If she asks me again about a wife or significant other, I’ll tell her the truth.”

“She wouldn’t dare.”

“I hope not, for your sake. Now kiss me so I can go back in a better frame of mind.”

I planted a heartfelt kiss on his parted lips and he moaned in response. When we broke apart, he growled. “You’re mine.”

“Jo—”

He didn’t let me finish, only kissed me so thoroughly I forgot what I was going to say. I felt his erection pressing against my matching boner. “Your jealous side is very sexy.”

“Sexy my ass. You owe me a blow job.”

“You got it,” I promised.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Book-Week 3

This weeks free book is Open Seating, the first book in the Open Series. You can find it on my author page at Amazon. Kindle Countdown deals...