Sunday, August 29, 2021

Sunday Snippet

 


My snippet today is from Enforcing Emory.  If you love a good coming out story with a guaranteed happy ending, this one is for you. Available at AMAZON and a free read with your KU subscription. 

Blurb

Olympic figure skater Emory Lowe falls in lust the moment he lays eyes on his new neighbor, hockey player Nikolai Vetrov. On the surface, Nik is a typical badass enforcer, intimidating and dangerous, on and off the ice. The only son of Ukrainian immigrants, Nik has been groomed from childhood to fulfill his father’s dream of seeing him in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Igor guides his son toward that goal with a controlling—and oftentimes abusive—hand, steering him clear of anyone who might ruin his chances.

Although Emory is the US National Figure Skating champion, he’s in-your-face gay, and his audacious persona rubs Nik and his family the wrong way. Raised by supporting and loving parents, Emory is Nik’s polar opposite in every way but one—his desire to succeed. Underneath the feather boa, glitter, and makeup beats the heart of a fierce competitor, and this side of Emory’s personality begins to close the distance between the two athletes.

While the attraction is one-sided in the beginning, Nik finds himself responding to Emory’s flirting. But before the incongruous pair have a chance at any sort of relationship, they must survive the pressure of career, separation, and most importantly, Igor’s ruthless homophobia.

Snippet

The screen door creaked open, slammed shut, and Emory walked in with his new friend. “Mom, Dad, this is Kolya Vetrov from across the street.”

A clatter of footsteps sounded from the stairs, and four boys ranging in age from six to fourteen walked in and clustered around their parents. “Who’s that?” the smallest asked, pointing at the stranger beside his brother.

The blond got down on his haunches and smiled. “Call me Nik.”

“So which is it?” Tom asked, perplexed. “Kolya or Nik?”

Nikolai looked up at his audience and clarified. “Kolya’s a shortened version of Nikolai, but I prefer to be called Nik.”

“Pleased to meet you,” Darlene said, reaching out to take his hand. He stood and, in an old-fashioned gesture that shocked everyone, brushed the back of her hand with a light kiss. “Oh my,” Darlene breathed. “Aren’t you charming?”

He smiled. “Sorry, I forget where I am sometimes. In my country, it’s more common.”

“You’re in Chicago now,” Tom said gruffly, “and don’t you forget it. You can get in trouble going around kissing other people’s wives.”

“Yes, sir,” Nik said. “I didn’t mean to offend anyone.”

“No worries,” Emory interjected, glaring at Tom. “My dad’s a bit territorial.”

“Hey, I’m teaching him the ropes,” Tom said. “You’re obviously new to the area.”

“We’ve just moved from Toronto.”

“So your family is Canadian?”

“Five-year immigrants from Ukraine.”

Tom looked at Darlene triumphantly. “Why’d you move?”

“Better opportunities for hockey players.”

“Now we’re getting somewhere,” Tom said. “You play?”

“He’s just signed on with the Chicago Wolves,” Emory said.

Tom whistled. “Sort of young to turn pro, aren’t you?”

“I’ve been playing since I was a kid.”

“Like me,” Emory said. “I think I was born with ice skates on my feet.”

Nikolai gave Emory a withering look. “Figure skaters aren’t in the same league as us.”

“No, we’re better,” Emory challenged.

He laughed. “I wouldn’t say that in front of my family.”

Tom didn’t like that answer one bit. “Do your people have something against figure skaters?”

“No, they’re just not hockey players,” Nikolai said.

Tom stepped forward. “Emory can run rings around you on the ice.”

Nikolai shrugged. “You can’t compare the two sports just because they involve ice.”

“I agree,” Emory said. “Figure skating is much more challenging.”

“That’s a matter of opinion,” Nikolai retorted. “Hockey players aren’t afraid of a little blood, whereas you guys start crying the minute bad scores are posted.”

“I think you’d better go,” Tom said.

“I’m sure Nikolai was kidding,” Emory said.

“No, I wasn’t,” Nikolai said, turning cool eyes on Emory and looking him up and down. “You’d last thirty minutes on my team.”

Tom put his hands on Nikolai’s shoulder and gently guided him to the front door. “It was nice to meet you, kid. Welcome to Chicago, and I hope you have a long and healthy career with the Wolves. Meanwhile, stay the fuck away from my family.”

“Tom,” Darlene warned.

“Dad,” Emory protested.

Nikolai started to leave, then paused. “There’s no need to get hostile over the truth. Ice hockey is to figure skating what Le Mans is to NASCAR. They both involve cars, but they’re worlds apart.”

“I’ve never heard that before,” Emory said.

“Perhaps you should be more open-minded the next time you challenge anyone to an ice duel,” Nik suggested.

Tom stepped forward, and Nikolai raised his hands in mock surrender. “I’m going.”

“Don’t let the door slam you in the ass,” Tom said with more heat than he’d intended.

As soon as Nikolai walked out, Emory whirled on Tom. “You didn’t need to be so damned rude.”

“Stop thinking with your little head, Em. He’s a typical narrow-minded jock.”

“We don’t know that for sure.”

“I’m done being neighborly,” Tom said flatly. “Let’s have some dinner.”





No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Book-Week 3

This weeks free book is Open Seating, the first book in the Open Series. You can find it on my author page at Amazon. Kindle Countdown deals...