Saturday, October 10, 2020

Saturday Snippet

 



Today's snippet is from Vessel, the second book in the Cutting Cords Series. How much would you give up to try and save a relationship? Five years into their "perfect" union, Sloan is confronted with a life-altering decision.  

Vessel
Mickie B. Ashling © 2020
All Rights Reserved

It didn’t take but a minute, and Cole was in my face spluttering in outrage. “Did you have to be so goddamn rude?”

“Would you have preferred a fucking scene? Honestly, Cole. What were you thinking? Oh, don’t even bother,” I said tersely. “This entire plot was orchestrated by your dad, and you played the dutiful son, hoping I wouldn’t lose my shit in front of an audience. Well, guess what? I’ve said it on more than one occasion, and in case you need to hear it again, I’m not in favor of this insane plan.”

“Sloan, calm down and let me explain.”

“There isn’t much to explain, is there? You and your parents have arrived at a decision without consulting me.”

“Please,” Cole said, reaching out for me. I stepped back, hardening my heart even as he groped for me. I moved left to walk out the door, but I underestimated his internal GPS, and he pounced in my direction and held me in place. “Don’t pull away again,” he begged this time, and I had no choice but to listen.

“I never told you about Noriko because I didn’t know she existed. Mom and Dad showed up with her tonight and presented her to me like a fait accompli. I had no say in the matter.”

“What a crock of shit, Cole.”

“It’s the truth, however stupid it may sound.”

“Who is she, anyway? Does she live around here? Does she surrogate for a living?”

“She’s from JapanKyoto, to be exact. And, no, she’s not a professional surrogate. My father talked her into coming to America and doing this for us.”

“Where did he find her?”

“I don’t know.”

“How can you not, Captain McKnowitall? It’s a basic question.”

“Sloan, she’s here to help us start our family.”

“Us? You mean she’s here to help your father, don’t you?”

“Sloan, please….”

“Last time I checked, I’m your partner and have equal rights in this decision.”

Cole frowned, directing his unseeing blue eyes in my direction. Outwardly, he hadn’t changed in the five years we’d been together. There were a few more silver strands weaving through the dark mane he kept long at my request, but his face was unlined and his body youthful and fit, thanks to the biweekly visits we shared at the gym. He was still attractive as hell, and I never got tired of looking at him.

“Maybe I would be more open to the idea of a child if our relationship wasn’t so fucked up.”

“What’s wrong with it?” Cole asked, looking completely surprised.

“We haven’t boned in weeks. Every time I make a move, you push me away. Not my idea of a healthy relationship. Jesus, Cole. We’ve had problems in the past, but our sex life has always been consistent and above average.”

“There’s more to life than sex,” he maintained.

“I’m twenty-eight, not sixty. Sex is an integral part of our relationship. If I had wanted a roommate, I would have married Emily.”


___________________________________________________________________________________

Vessel is available at AMAZON and a free read on Kindle Unlimited. Check out this second book readers have described as "A Most Unusual Sequel." 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Book-Week 3

This weeks free book is Open Seating, the first book in the Open Series. You can find it on my author page at Amazon. Kindle Countdown deals...