Thursday, March 12, 2020

Throwback Thursday



A Noble Cause is the second book in my Legacy Series. This series is a spinoff from my entry in the NineStar Press anthology, Once Upon A Rainbow, Volume One. You don't have to read the novella to enjoy A Tangled Legacy and A Noble Cause but if you purchase the print version of A Tangled Legacy, the novella Once Upon A Mattress is included as a bonus. Here's a snippet of  A Noble Cause. 

Blurb
Having achieved his heart’s desire at a high price, Prince Colin of Sendorra and his fiancĂ©, Nobel Prize winner Alain de Gris, find themselves at the epicenter of a twisted plot. Colin’s cousin, Drake Bradford, and his grandmother Maura, the high priestess of the Bradford Coven, have conspired for years to bring down the royal family.

Resembling his cousin in features and coloring, Drake, the soulless rat, has been using their similarities—and black magic—to his advantage. Princess Charlotte, Colin’s ex-girlfriend, is unwittingly drawn into the feud, blissfully unaware she’s been sleeping with an impostor.

In this anticipated sequel to A Tangled Legacy, Colin and Alain, along with their fearless group of witches, ghosts, and familiars, embark on a convoluted journey to save the people they love and ensure the royal succession.


A Noble Cause
Mickie B. Ashling 2019
All Rights Reserved

DRAKE LIFTED CHARLIE off the floor, where she’d been lying since he sent a telepathic zap her way. She looked out of it, and he wondered if maybe he’d gone too far. There would be no satisfaction if his precious hostage died before money exchanged hands. Carrying her back to bed, he propped her against a stack of pillows and lightly slapped her face, relieved as a spark of recognition flooded her eyes, followed immediately by a glimmer of fear. Charlie shrank away from his touch.
“Don’t tell me you’re buying into Isabelle’s bullshit,” Drake said, determined to keep up the Colin charade. Impotent anger had led to a misguided slip the other day, and now he was paying the price. If he wanted a cooperative Charlie, he’d have to convince her she’d imagined their entire exchange. “She’s a senile bitch who’s got a personal vendetta against my family.”
Unconvinced, Charlie said, “I’m not sure who she is, but the woman insisted you aren’t Colin. Now I’m wondering the same thing. You’ve been acting weird for weeks, and I swear you looked different…”

“Me?” Drake challenged. “Sorry if I haven’t been myself lately, but this is on you, not me. It’s hard to feel romantic, or be inspired to put my best foot forward, when the woman you love reeks of vomit. I guess I’m following your lead.”
“I’m not doing this on purpose,” Charlie whined. “You honestly think I’m enjoying myself? I want to look good for you, but it’s hard when I feel like crap. And I wish you’d stop shaming me.”
Drake put on his best face—Colin’s finest good looks—and attempted to placate Charlie. “I apologize for being a dick, but I’m new to this, as well. I have no idea how to deal with a pregnant woman. One minute we’re humping like rabbits, and then you shove me away like I have the plague. If I’ve been a little testy it’s because I’m also adjusting to our new situation.”
“I guess it’s been a little crazy around here.”
“No shit,” he replied. “How about we start over? I’ll be more supportive if you try to pull it together. You’re dehydrated and probably hallucinating.”
“You think it’s all in my head?”
“If you’re not getting basic nutrients, there’s no telling how it’ll affect your brain cells. And what about the baby? You need to force yourself to eat or suffer the consequences.”
“Perhaps we should see a real doctor?”
“Will you feel better if I set up an appointment?”
“Don’t send me to another midwife,” Charlie insisted. “Maura is nice, but she hasn’t been able to stop the morning sickness with herbs. I need real medicine.”
“I’ll see what I can do,” Drake said, dripping with concern. “In the meantime, will you promise to get these crazy ideas out of your head? I’m Colin, your one true love, not some imagined bogeyman.”

You can purchase this novel or the entire series at any one of these links.

NINESTAR PRESS

AMAZON

BARNES & NOBLE

SMASHWORDS






No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Book-Week 3

This weeks free book is Open Seating, the first book in the Open Series. You can find it on my author page at Amazon. Kindle Countdown deals...