Sunday, January 19, 2020

Sunday Snippet


Finding Our Morning
Mickie B. Ashling 2020
All Rights Reserved

Snippet


David’s statement was sobering, and Ginny lost her enthusiasm for the event after the first line dance. People she’d known all her life gave them wide berth, and the dawning awareness that she’d also been living in a privileged bubble was a real eye-opener. As long as she chose someone from the right social stratosphere, no one gave a damn, but David was a foreigner and closer in color to the Mexicans dishing up the buffet. Remnants of his recent altercation—now a purplish nimbus around his left eye and a crusted slash on his lower lip—gave him a thuggish look that could easily be misconstrued. It was easy to surmise he was bad news, but the thought of anyone thinking less of her date without asking for details made her so angry she turned to David after the song ended and huffed, “Let’s go.”
“We just got here,” David reasoned. “Don’t run away on my account.”
“I’m no coward,” Ginny asserted, “but I’m not sticking around while they talk shit about you. The next person who says anything to my face will regret it.”
“Are you always this aggressive?”
“When I’m pushed. Small-minded people are no friends of mine.”
“Stand down, Ginny. I’m used to being the odd man out and can easily defend myself. This isn’t the first time I’ve been subjected to prejudice. And to be fair, I don’t look my best at the moment.”
Ginny waved away the admission. “You’re better looking than most of the guys in this place.”
“Thank you, but we both know it’s not true.”
“To me you are,” Ginny maintained. “Getting back to your early statement. Do you encounter this in other parts of the world?”
“Americans don’t have a patent on hatred.”
“Bunch of chuckleheads,” Ginny muttered.
“Most of them have never heard of Iran.”
“Instead of asking questions about your country and credentials, they fixate on your skin tone. Maybe it’s a Texas thing.”
“Don’t be naïve,” David said kindly. “The human race is essentially clannish. They mistrust anyone whose views are different, and if they happen to be a few shades darker or lighter, it compounds the problem.”
“You’re a lawyer and capable of seeing both sides of an argument. I’m the opposite,” Ginny volunteered. “I’ve been subjected to bullies growing up and won’t tolerate this sort of behavior. Can we go?”
“Of course,” David said agreeably.


Based on true events, Finding Our Morning catapults the reader from Texas Hill Country to the epicenter of a monarchy on the brink of collapse. Now available for pre-order at AMAZON.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Book-Week 3

This weeks free book is Open Seating, the first book in the Open Series. You can find it on my author page at Amazon. Kindle Countdown deals...